Are they shoes? Are they trainers? Are they an X-File? The 365-day charity needs the help of Spooky Mulder…
My day started with my breakfast exploding. Since my breakfast was museli, this left my kitchen looking it had been pebble dashed with raisins.
You’d think this would be a good reason to call in Mulder and Scully, but there was nothing even remotely supernatural about the event. It was just me, having lost the kitchen scissors, trying to get into that little plastic bag inside the cereal using my teeth. It was the proverbial accident waiting to happen.
However, the gruesome twosome may be more interested in today’s trainers.
If indeed, indeed, they are trainers.
Because they’re half trainers/half shoes. Mutant footwear.
They are Vans and they even have the Vans wibbly line logo that they use on their Old Skool trainers; you can’t see it in the photo, but it’s there – as an outline formed by dozens of small perforations.
On the other hand, they’re also smart-suede-shoe enough, that I’ve worn them without any complaints to many a-wedding and formal function. Which is why I’m wearing them today. No, I’m not off to a wedding, but a quiz at a Gentleman’s Club in Bath tonight. Admittedly it’s not quite as strict as it used to be (they used to insist on collars on shirts), but I’m pretty certain they wouldn’t allow yesterday’s trainers anywhere near the bar.
A few people I know are members purely because the place has such – apparently – beautiful snooker tables. It’s not the kind of thing I get excited about, but they go so misty eyed in their appreciation of the green baize edifices you have to wonder if they’re mentally pocketing some balls just talking about them.
Anyway, another Friday, another Comic Review deadline. Last week’s issue went down really well, so I feel some pressure to top it. Batman on the cover; nice to see something other than Marvel characters on the cover for a change.
See you at the weekend.
And check out the new charity total!
• Current total: £705 (wow, and just a few days ago I was urging people to help me break the £600 barrier! Thanks to the latest donor, Martin Fahey – he sent trainers, too!)
• Remember this is all for charity, so any pennies or pounds you can spare PLEASE DONATE BY CLICKING HERE.
• Follow me on Twitter to make sure you see what trainers I’m wearing each day.
• If you have any trainers you could donate (either on loan or old pairs you’re getting rid of) which are size 9 (ish – I can do anything from 8 to 10) contact me at email@example.com so I can arrange collection.
• Please, please, please leave comments below! I’m after ideas for mini-challenges, future photoshoots and how I can find enough pairs of trainers!
Cheers Dave G