Cyclops doesn’t like today’s trainers. Strange. They share his name…
Scott Vs Scott. Or maybe Cyclops Vs Cyclers. Or maybe X-Man Vs BMX-Man. Okay, it’s getting really tenuous now.
Regular readers of this blog will know I’m no great fan of cycling shoes, but these are an exception. What I really don’t like are the shiny, three-Velcro-strapped, over-the-top, plasticky cycling shoes that make it look like you’ve got a couple of R2 units strapped to your feet.
These are different. They look like skate shoes and I think they look the business. But they are proper cycling shoes; the soles (and the sound you make when walking, like a drunk tap dancer) prove it; they have cleats.
The brand is Scott, who make some of my favourite cycling wear. A shame they’re size eights, because they’re really tight on me. Besides, by the rules of this challenge, I can’t keep trainers that I haven’t personally bought, and these were from the Future cycling mag’s free box.
By complete coincidence, I accepted a freelance commission yesterday to write about Teen Wolf series three, which stars a character called Scott. So here, for no better reason than to fill up the blog on a weekend when I’m not up to much other than work, are science fiction’s greatest fictional Scotts (so apologies for not including the non-fictional but totally awesome Scott Bakula but no apologies for not including notorious bigot Orson Scott Card).
Scott Tracy Thunderbirds
Scotty Star Trek
Scott Bernard Robotech
Scott Pilgrim Scott Pilgrim
Scott Evil Austin Powers
Scott McCall Teen Wolf
Thinking about Teen Wolf also reminded me of this: one of the oddest moments in an interview I’ve conducted ever. Enjoy…
• Current total: £715 (the total’s creeping up again! Thanks to Stephen Jewell!)
• Remember this is all for charity, so any pennies or pounds you can spare PLEASE DONATE BY CLICKING HERE.
• Follow me on Twitter to make sure you see what trainers I’m wearing each day.
• If you have any trainers you could donate (either on loan or old pairs you’re getting rid of) which are size 9 (ish – I can do anything from 8 to 10) contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org so I can arrange collection.
• Please, please, please leave comments below! I’m after ideas for mini-challenges, future photoshoots and how I can find enough pairs of trainers! Cheers Dave G