Today’s trainers are official Iron Man shoes. Unfortunately, not that Iron Man…
What a swizz! (Or may a K-Swizz, considering the brand of trainers I’m wearing.) I buy these kicks off eBay because they’re labelled Iron Man trainers, and when they arrive, they’re don’t come equipped with rockets boosters or repulsor beams! Plus, not even a hint of gold!
Ah, I see. They’re not referring to that Iron Man… But rather the super-tough, worldwide triathlon competition. That’s the official logo on the Velcro flap. They’re clearly not designed for the 2.4 mile swim, and they aren’t shiny or strappy (or silly-looking) enough to be pro cycling shoes for the 112-mile bike ride, so I guess they’re for the full marathon all the Iron Man competitors have to run as well. Rather them than me. My 16 miles of cycling a day are more than sufficient thanks.
Of course, I knew that they weren’t actually Marvel’s Iron Man trainers all along. Honest, guv. But a little thing like that wasn’t going to stop me putting together today’s photo. Especially as the chances of me ever getting my hands on an official pair of Iron Man Nike Air Force Ones (left) is pretty damned slim to the point of non-existent.
Oh, and for anybody outside of the UK puzzling about the pun in the headline – Swiss Toni is a character from an old comedy sketch show here in the UK called The Fast Show. It was brought out of storage last weekend to help celebrate BBC2’s 50th anniversary, and amazingly the new sketches were almost as sharp and funny as the show in its heyday. This NEVER happens. Revived – or reunion – shows are always a pale imitation of former glories; it’s a TV law. But no, the new Fast Show was actually very good indeed. A couple of sketches missed the target, but that was ever the case. Maybe its success says more about how rubbish most other scripted British comedy is at the moment. (Emphasis on most – whatever your current fave is, that’s clearly brilliant too; I have a soft spot for Bad Education.)
Roll on the weekend. May your Friday be swift and painless. Unless you’re a sadomasochist with the day off.
• Current total: £805 (let’s make it to £1,ooo by the end of June!)
• Remember this is all for charity, so any pennies or pounds you can spare PLEASE DONATE BY CLICKING HERE.
• Follow me on Twitter to make sure you see what trainers I’m wearing each day.
• If you have any trainers you could donate (either on loan or old pairs you’re getting rid of) which are size 9 (ish – I can do anything from 8 to 10) contact me at email@example.com so I can arrange collection.
• Please, please, please leave comments below! I’m after ideas for mini-challenges, future photoshoots and how I can find enough pairs of trainers!