What’s creeping about in the Overlook Hotel? Don’t worry, it’s only the Sole Of Sci-Fi
Okay, yeah, maybe I should have waited until Day 237 to post this homage to The Shining, but to be perfectly honest I only remembered about the spooky room number after I put the image together, and I’m not waiting another 84 days to post it. Partly because of my Swiss cheese memory (I’ll have forgotten I did it by then) but mainly because I haven’t got the time to do another photo this morning.
I’m into my final month of work at Future at once again I find myself editing two magazines simultaneously (three if you include Comic Review). Yep, the deadlines for the next SFX Special and the next Comic Heroes are less than a week apart. Admittedly both deadlines are technically after I leave, but I’ve still got to do the majority of the work on both, including the covers. So, it’s going to be a fraught few weeks.
Today’s trainers are the first from the job lot that the Future sports division donated. I told you they were a garish bunch. These are a pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire 10th Anniversary trainers, apparently, according to the various labels all over them. And they clash horribly with that carpet.
And as it’s Monday here’s my capsule review of last night’s In The Flesh: bloody brilliant. Okay, the “comedy’ Hard Graft-viewing scene where Maxine Martin conveniently finds the lead she needs to discover the identity of the First Risen thanks to a slip of the tongue was straying into bad ’70s sitcom territory again. But apart from that, this was a great, great piece of TV. Philip and Amy’s crazy golf game was one of my TV highlights of the year, but what I really liked was that that there was a bleak, dark, harrowing feel to the episode – and lots of edgy human conflict – that made it feel more like season one again, rather than the more Being Human version of the show we’ve had for much of this year. There’s nothing wrong with Being Human – I loved that show – but I prefer In The Flesh when it has its own darker tone and identity.
It was also gorgeously directed and shot by director Alice Troughton. It makes you wonder why she’s not being used on Doctor Who any more. She’s a natural when it comes to telefantasy.
• Current total: £805 (let’s make it to £1,ooo by the end of June!)
• Remember this is all for charity, so any pennies or pounds you can spare PLEASE DONATE BY CLICKING HERE.
• Follow me on Twitter to make sure you see what trainers I’m wearing each day.
• If you have any trainers you could donate (either on loan or old pairs you’re getting rid of) which are size 9 (ish – I can do anything from 8 to 10) contact me at email@example.com so I can arrange collection.
• Please, please, please leave comments below! I’m after ideas for mini-challenges, future photoshoots and how I can find enough pairs of trainers!