Tom Cruise’s arse helps celebrate the halfway point of The Sole Of Sci-Fi (I never thought I’d be writing that six months ago)
To mark the official halfway mark of The Sole Of Sci-Fi, I’m sting this at exactly noon on 1 July, which is 182-and-a-half days through the year.
I must admit, I did think I’d make a big deal of the halfway mark, with another massive vote, perhaps. A review of the year so far, maybe. Instead you get Tom Cruise’s arse and a pair of Muddy Fox cycling shoes that look suspiciously like the gleaming white tech from Oblivion.
That’s because having gone freelance, I’m now conscious I have to make a good impression with commissioning editors to make sure people employ me again… and I had two deadlines this morning. So I polished off reviews of True Blood and The Leftovers before starting on Sole Of Sci-Fi. And now I’ve decided that the noon posting time is a cool idea, I’m on yet another self-imposed deadline.
So, I’ll do something special at the weekend (barring a massive, major commission) and just instead point out I’ve revised the target for the sponsorship money. Since I managed to reach a grand in six months, I’m now aiming for two grand by 2015. I think this may be a struggle as I’ve already been given donations by my family and friends, but hey, it’s worth striving for, surely?
As for the rest of the day, I really ought to be building up more contacts and pestering people for more freelance… but it’s really sunny outside. I think I may concentrate on trying to take a photo for Countryfile’s photo competition instead. Shame the only wildlife I ever see around here is magpies and frogs.
Hang on… FROGS! I nearly forgot. I had to rehome this fella at the weekend. I actually drained my ponds about two weeks ago, but didn’t remove the pond linings until this weekend, to give the frogs time to hop off and find a new home (there are loads of ponds round my area). But one guy decided he wasn’t going to leave, and he obstinately dug his heels into one slimy, muddy puddle that didn’t drain away (or even, amazingly in the heat we’ve had recently evaporate). So I had to capture him and let him go at the nearby mill pond. Except that he decided to head off in a direction away from the pond.
I’m sure he found it eventually. Well, I hope so…
See you tomorrow.
• Current total: £1,015 (many thanks to Boo and Phil Shipley for donations over the weekend!)
• Remember this is all for charity, so any pennies or pounds you can spare PLEASE DONATE BY CLICKING HERE.
• Follow me on Twitter to make sure you see what trainers I’m wearing each day.
• If you have any trainers you could donate (either on loan or old pairs you’re getting rid of) which are size 9 (ish – I can do anything from 8 to 10) contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org so I can arrange collection.
• Please, please, please leave comments below! I’m after ideas for mini-challenges, future photoshoots and how I can find enough pairs of trainers!