The making of today’s Sole Of Sci-Fi photo was a little but like the making of Monsters itself…
Before successfully reinventing Godzilla, director Gareth Edwards made a low budget film called Monsters, which was a little bit of genius even if horror fans were perturbed to find themselves watching a love film rather than a straightforwards creature feature. (And people wonder why Edwards’ Godzilla turned out the way it did? They guy’s obviously a bog softie at heart.)
Coming from a special FX background, Edwards saved a lot of money by shooting in South America with an almost complete lack of props or set dressing, then digitally inserting signs and posters (as well as monsters, tanks and helicopters) in post production.
So today’s Sole Of Sci-Fi photo is almost a recreation of the making of Monsters, because, of course, I didn’t really paste a Monsters poster on my garage. Though it may have been easier.
I remember I was supposed to interview Edwards once at the Watershed arts centre in Bristol. He was doing a talk about his experiences making Monsters, and great fun and very interesting it was too. The trouble was, Edwards used to work in Bristol, and all his old work mates were in the audience. So when it had finished, they all descended on him and headed for the bar for some reminiscing. It seemed a shame to interrupt them (I’m not sure the PR woman could have even if she tried) so we rearranged the interview for the next day, on the phone, while Edwards was on a train journey to another publicity commitment. There are great gaps in the recording resulting from every time he went into a tunnel, but the plus side was that I had a lot longer interview time than normal. You can read the resulting interview here.
I really enjoyed talking to Edwards and was thrilled when he got the Godzilla gig. And now he’s doing a Star Wars movie. I bet some of those old mates in Bristol have been sending him CVs and begging emails. I know I would.
Don’t forget! I need new donations to make sure I attempt a mini challenge in Ausgust. See Saturday’s blog for details.
See you tomorrow.
• Current total: £1,060 (Come on guys – let’s raise this a bit!)
• Remember this is all for charity, so any pennies or pounds you can spare PLEASE DONATE BY CLICKING HERE.
• Follow me on Twitter to make sure you see what trainers I’m wearing each day.
• If you have any trainers you could donate (either on loan or old pairs you’re getting rid of) which are size 9 (ish – I can do anything from 8 to 10) contact me at davegolderSFX@gmail.com so I can arrange collection.
• Please, please, please leave comments below! I’m after ideas for mini-challenges, future photoshoots and how I can find enough pairs of trainers!