Plus the Mutant Enemy logos that never were…
1977. Such an important year for sci-fi and fantasy in so many ways. And also the year Buffy bad boy Spike first donned that famous leather jacket, having torn it off the fresh corpse of former Slayer Nikki Wood (whom he’d just killed). Maybe I should have stopped him, but you know what it’s like on the tube… probably best not to get involved.
You think I’m kidding about being there? You’ve seen the episode and you know that the fight between Nikki and Spike took place in an empty carriage? Well, maybe not. Below is the unPhotoshopped screen grab; have a careful look bottom left…
Is that or is that not the toe-cap of somebody’s trainer? So you see… I could have been there (if I had a time machine).
It’s not the only trainer related faux pas in Buffy history. In the season three opener “Anne”, when Buffy fights the demons at the climax her shoes keep changing from Nikes to Converse Jack Purcells.
And, yeah, only I’d notice something like that.
And as I’m in a Buffy mood, here’s a reprint of an old article I did for an SFX special which I’m still rather fond of (I didn’t do the art – I’m pretty sure it was Andy Watt, but apologies if I got that wrong – but the ideas were mine!)
Every episode of Buffy ended with the Mutant Enemy zombie grrr-aarrgghhing his way across the screen. On some special occasions, though, he was subtly altered to suit the subject of the episode. For example, in “Graduation Day Part 2” he wore a mortar board, and in “Once More, With Feeling” he sung for us. At SFX, we were gagging for more zombie fun, so we’ve made up a few variations of our own…
Xander and Anya’s (aborted) wedding…
“Buffy Versus Dracula”
So long, bloodsucker…
“I Was Made To Love You”
Warren creates the Buffybot
Oz is a werewolf, shocker!
Warren is skinned by evil Willow
Xander acquires a doppelganger
The Scoobies have bad dreams
Andrew makes a video documentary
See you tomorrow.
• Current total: £1,075 (thank you parents!)
• Remember this is all for charity, so any pennies or pounds you can spare PLEASE DONATE BY CLICKING HERE.
• Follow me on Twitter to make sure you see what trainers I’m wearing each day.
• If you have any trainers you could donate (either on loan or old pairs you’re getting rid of) which are size 9 (ish – I can do anything from 8 to 10) contact me at davegolderSFX@gmail.com so I can arrange collection.
• Please, please, please leave comments below! I’m after ideas for mini-challenges, future photoshoots and how I can find enough pairs of trainers!