Say that headline quickly, and the gag kinda works…
I am the trainer vulture. If you read this blog yesterday you’ll know I went for a drink with current SFX editor-in-chief David Bradley on Saturday, and when I called at his house, look at these beauties I found in the hallway. Within about 3o seconds of crossing the threshold I had procured them for a slot on Sole Of Sci-Fi… sadly, he wants them back (they were a birthday present from his wife Debora).
But I’m the one with the dodgy 1980s reprints of the Marvel Star Wars comics where the art on the trainers comes from. I think (but I wouldn’t swear) that the art on the Vans is by Walt Simonson, though I’m happy to stand corrected.
Thinking about those old Star Wars comics as Guardians Of The Galaxy storms to the top of the movie charts, partly thanks to a certain raccoon, if JJ Abrams thinks he now needs a gun-toting cute critter in Episode Seven, the extended Star Wars universe already has a suitable character to offer: Jaxxon, the giant, talking, green rabbit. You have to wonder whether Jaxxon was actually an inspiration for Rocket Raccoon, though Rocket is by far the cooler character. As a kid I actually found Jaxxon just downright creepy… Hulk Bunny!
I’ve had a huge number of hits over the weekend thanks to Whedoneseque discovering my Buffy post from last week. Welcome all newcomers. Now give me your money! Though thanks to a generous donation from Simon Barnett yesterday, I’ve now crossed the £1,100 barrier.
Lots of work this week. I’ve kinda got out of the habit, so it’s going to be culture shock! But looking at my bank balance… I think I have little choice. Trainers and box sets don’t grow on trees.
See you tomorrow.
• Current total: £1,110 (cheers, Simon Barnett)
• Remember this is all for charity, so any pennies or pounds you can spare PLEASE DONATE BY CLICKING HERE.
• Follow me on Twitter to make sure you see what trainers I’m wearing each day.
• If you have any trainers you could donate (either on loan or old pairs you’re getting rid of) which are size 9 (ish – I can do anything from 8 to 10) contact me at davegolderSFX@gmail.com so I can arrange collection.
• Please, please, please leave comments below! I’m after ideas for mini-challenges, future photoshoots and how I can find enough pairs of trainers!