GERTY is proud of his Ian Brown superstars…
That was an odd strapline to write. I’m of the generation for whom “Gertie” will always be a pre-school Drew Barrymore dragging a dragged-up extraterrestrial around town in ET.
But for some reason, the servo-robot in Duncan Jones’ brilliant brilliant Moon (2009) is called GERTY, despite having the disturbingly manly voice of Kevin Spacey. A gender-bending robot. Cool.
It’s never clear why GERTY’s called GERTY. Well, year, there’s a bloody great “GERTY 3000 ROBOTIC ASSIST L” decal on the front of the thing, but that still doesn’t really explain if GERTY is an acronym or an assignation. I quite like the fact you don’t know. It means you can make things up like, “Gender Experimenting Robot Type 3000”.
The Ian Brown Superstars are courtesy of a guy called Pete I bumped into at a wedding. I’d like to think Brown was wearing a pair when he guest starred in Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban, but probably not.
See you tomorrow.
• Current total: £1,220 (finally, a new donation!)
• Remember this is all for charity, so any pennies or pounds you can spare PLEASE DONATE BY CLICKING HERE.
• Follow me on Twitter to make sure you see what trainers I’m wearing each day.
• If you have any trainers you could donate (either on loan or old pairs you’re getting rid of) which are size 9 (ish – I can do anything from 8 to 10) contact me at davegolderSFX@gmail.com so I can arrange collection.
• Please, please, please leave comments below! I’m after ideas for mini-challenges, future photoshoots and how I can find enough pairs of trainers!